Sunday, January 20, 2008

Replies, delays, etc, etc, etc......

Howdy soakes, I mean folks. I am now encountering problems with uploading and I cannot figure out if it is due to my new internet service provider or because of something with Vista. I am searching the web trying in vain to figure out the problem and I seem to be getting nowhere. I am not very tech savvy. Problem is my uploads are so slooooooow, rapidshare times out on my uploads. I am using a new ISP called Clearwire and I am hearing bad things about upload speeds with them, but my downloads are wizzin' (as long as I don't try to dl too much concurrently).
So I am not intentionally slacking, it's just I can't get this friggin' computer up to snuff.

As far as the Simon Stokes goes, I am trying to go through the DVDs I ripped before my other hard drive went kapoopie. If I can find it I will get it back up here, I hopefully didin't lose it along with a ton of other stuff.

As far as using the so-called link masks, I don't think they help as I encounter plenty of stuff at mass mirror, shareabee and lix that are deleted. So apparently there is no way to get around that.

And lastly on the debate of being able to hear stuff before you buy it (my final 2 pennies, and I am saying no more--til next time hehe), I agree to some extent with both sides. There are a lot of people that actually buy the stuff they like (I know 2 guys first hand at work that spend 80 to 100 bucks a week on CDs---they have the disposable income , and yeah they usually dl it first to see if it's worth their bucks), and probably just as many or more who don't. But if the people who dig it go and buy a used copy is that helping these bands anymore than if they download it? Not hardly. Is it hurting them anymore than if they download? I would have to say no again. The only time a download hurts an artist is if that person that downloads their album was going to buy that album new and then doesn't BECAUSE of that download. I have downloaded a lot of crappy stuff that I would never spend a penny on, and it has met Mr. Recycle bin. I don't keep trash, my apartment would stink. But speaking for myself I am a very poor person and (blah blah blah, most of you have heard my life story already) cannot afford to buy this stuff at 25-35 bucks a pop. The sad truth is when I get the luxury of buying a new CD it usually goes to the local used store next time I am hard up for cash. So I mostly buy used, and depend on the ignorance of most of the used stores in my area to not know what the hell they have when an obscure psych or prog CD hits their store (and that is few and far between).

But, say I download something by Band X and their tour bus pulls into town next Tuesday. I decide I can afford the 15-20 bucks (most bands I like haven't hit the arena prices yet) to catch them live and do so. I might even buy a trinket of memoribilia or a CD from them at the show.
Have I not become a supportive fan of Band X? Am I still a dirty rotten scoundel? Well, let's see.........


Now that money from the concert and trinket of worship will probably get to them, but Mr. Suit doesn't give a shit about that because I didn't buy the latest tin can lid he is making bucks on. So Mr. Suit decides to sue me, or hinder my ability to check out his band (no, I can't make a valid decision on a 22 second snippet or 1 or 2 songs, sorry! Lots of bands put out albums with 2 or 3 decent songs and 52-65 minutes of pure shit---and you know it, or you'd WANT me to hear it all). But yet still I understand your need to make a buck or two (or a hundred thousand), and until they come up with a way to make disposable downloads (i.e.: listen for 24 to 48 hours and they implode or something) I can understand your animosity to people like me. But just because you are upset about Band X getting downloaded, you don't have to go getting rare albums that will never see the light of day deleted to prove anything. Just ask and 95% of the bloggers will remove YOUR stuff. Then go to the painstaking efforts to have the other 5% removed. Most of us really don't wanna hurt anyone, even you. Do you really think you are doing your bands any favors? Do you remember a little band called Metallica? Don't alienate the ear that hears you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother. I also think there's a difference between possessing and hearing. I don't need to possess most records, but I'd like at least to hear them. If a band doesn't even want me to hear their music, then what can I say? There's enough music to hear to fill seven lifetimes.

Anonymous said...

I occasionally drop by here and I'm sorry to see you got problems with this new gear which unfortunately is not up to standard.Vista was obviously put out far too soon which is proven by the amount of patches they have to release and as for Clearwire they are a Mickey Mouse outfit just making some dollars and selling on credit card details until they in turn get sold.Maybe think about dumping Vista and steering clear of crooks like Clearwire and going back a couple of years for the technology.

All the Best

Mike

Subcomandante Marcos said...

I know for certain that clearwire cripples P2P uploads, it sounds like they also tamper with http uploads, which is a pisser.
Cheers!

Time Traveller said...

Yeah, I can't get any P2P to work , but strangely, my kid can. He is on my network through a router, and while his speeds have dropped somewhat since switching to Clearwire, he can still use them. Strange, isn't it?

But my upload speed is total crap. Something like 25 bps which means a 55 mb file would take about 7-9 hours or more to upload. And that is total bullshit.

Anonymous said...

a lot of ISPs are sending very clear messages that they don't care if you download -- it's the uploading that gets them in trouble. My ISP brags about how fast you can download, but never lets me upload a torrent faster than 25KBS, regardless of what they advertise as the available speed. I got one of their technicians to admit, totally off the record, that it's because the media companies go after the uploaders. In this area, though, they're all pretty much the same, so I'm not sure what else to do.

Time Traveller said...

Well, that's fine if its true, but a lot of "legit" filesenders may be very upset if it is.

I never had any problems with roadrunner, it was never close to their "promised" speeds, but at least I could do 2 or 3 downloads in about 2 hours.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to have a blogger remove a file when asked, they usually go and put more albums up by that artist or even more obnoxious activity.

I own hundreds of albums that I bought based on hearing one song, it's ridiculous to claim you have to hear a whole album multiple times to make a decision, we're talking about $10 to $15 here, that's what it costs to see a movie once.

Time Traveller said...

Well, then you go to some pretty shitty blogs. But if you buy albums based on one song at 10-15 bucks a pop, you must either have a shitpot full o' dough, or are one real foolish person. And I don't know where you live but I have theaters in my area that charge 2 bucks a movie if you can keep your pants and wait a month or two after the release date, which I do on the rare instances(3 in the last 5 years) that I go see a movie.

See, let me give you a scoop on how to rip off those movie rat bastards, wait til the DVD comes out, get ten of your friends (if you have any) and go to blockbuster. Chip in a quarter a piece and rent the video. Then WOO HOO you've robbed the movie industry of 9 rentals or purchases and there isn't a fucking thing they can do about it!! And then invite all your co-workers over to watch it the next night and charge them a quarter. WAA-LAA--not only have you ripped them off 9 or 10 times YOU'VE ACTUALLY MADE MONEY!!!!

Oh, and yeah, I need to hear music more than once to decide if I like it or not, so do many others--ever wonder why the radio plays certain songs endlessly? Because repetition breeds this thing called familiarity. It's pretty fuckin' cool, if you don't like a shitty song the first fifteen times you hear it, you surely will after 300 times. Then idiots go buy the whole shitty album based on that.

Anonymous said...

I have spent so much money over the years on albums that I could not hear first, and was sorely dissapointed upon listening a few times. Hearing one song on the radio is very misleading. And most of the bands I like NEVER get on the radio, so it is a crapshoot. If I like a band I SUPPORT them. I am not rich and cannot afford to buy a CD of every band that I THINK might be interesting. And fifteen second sound samples seldom give enough to know if you will really like it, although I admit it does give you enough to tell if you will totally dislike it.

I resent you and your attitude that people who share music are ripping anybody off! I have shared albums on cassette since the 70's. No one ever objected to that to unless you were copying to sell it! Do you expect us to rebuy every album we like every time technology pushes the sound quality up? Much of what I download is remasters or digital versions of albums that I have bought years before.

I think you are a shortsighted, greedy, money grubbing scum sucker............